svn had 2 very nice items:
The top 5 red flags of software development:
- "Wouldn’t it be easy to…" (the hidden cost of change)
- "This shouldn’t take long" (artificial time frame)
- "Can you make this small change real quick?" (“small” and “quick”)
- "Before you finish X, could you do Y?" (the mental costs of interruption)
- "Let’s push this today" (artificial scope)
If you know the exact cost and the exact schedule, chances are that the technology is obsolete.
with a link to a page of quotations related to design and engineering by Erik K. Antonsson.